Revision 1 as of 2006-06-02 07:01:21
|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 29:||Line 29:|
|Line 30:||Line 32:|
A couple of tools that would ease the process of mass deployment of Kubuntu by OEMs and collection of configuration data from a user whose computer comes pre-loaded with Kubuntu.
This is a program which would be launched when a computer with Kubuntu pre-installed is started for the first time. Through a clean and attractive interface, It would allow for the collection of information from the user, which would include:
- The User's Location and language(locale)
- The Keyboard layout in use
- The User's Name, preferred username, password(and confirmation);(and email if necessary)
- The User's timezone
Based on the information collected, the installation would be configured accordingly and a new user account would be created.
OEM Configuration Tool
A unified tool which would bring together common configurable aspects of the system, which can be tweaked with ease by an OEM. Modules would include:
- Hardware: Addition/Modification of drivers etc.
- Installation/Removal of packages
- Configuration of the System; configure filesystems, network interfaces, configure X etc.
- Configuration of KDE; everything from widget style, icons to wallpaper(OEMs could install own packages to customize).
- Configuration of the OEM Installer.
- Creation and replication of disk images.
Design & Implementation
- Create a KDE port of the existing glade based interface.
- Modify existing code to create new interface
- Create a KDE-based tool which provides a central location to configure various Hardware, Software(including KDE) options, install/remove packages, control what the user enters on first boot.