Requirements: Depends on type of development.
Development covers a very large group of different tasks, depending on which specific career path you choose, the requirements are different. The list below only presents some of the larger career branches in development.
Requirements: Reading, some time to get started.
Packaging is one of the primary development tasks in a large Linux distribution project. Packaging is the essential key of getting the latest and best software to the user.
Why it rocks
- All the cool kids are doing it
- Packagers know everyone. Not only will you be part of an elite group, but also get to know with Debian's finest, as well as KDE developers and other application developers.
- Learn about
- large scale software deployment
- quality assurance and quality assessment
- Consult with your tutor of choice to get all resources
- Learn how to do Debian packaging
Start a career as Kubuntu developer by getting started with MOTU
- Kubuntu Member
- Ubuntu Universe Contributor
- Master of the Universe
- Core Developer
Requirements: Qt/KDE GUI programming using C++, or Python, or Ruby. Otherwise some time to get started with programming.
Even though Kubuntu usually directs programming, and software development at large, towards KDE or the affected upstream project, at times it is necessary to create custom solutions, unique to Kubuntu. Those applications are usually written in a language best suited for the task. Mostly you will find PyKDE applications in our stock, since Python is an easy to learn language and also very popular in Ubuntu as a whole.
Why it rocks
- No matter where the programming happens, you will be able to collaborate with some great minds
- You'll get first hand experience in bringing software applications to thousands of people, and all related tasks (maintenance most importantly)
- Learn how to program KDE applications using C++ and/or Python and/or Ruby. Your tutor of choice probably has documentation and hands-on tutorials you can use
- Ask your tutor of choice for the best way to go about revision control, code hosting, website hosting etc.
- It is highly recommended that you find yourself a mentor on project management related tasks. Good management is one of the most important aspects of a healthy open source project.
- Software Programmer
- Possibly Packager, or Kubuntu Ninja, or both
Kubuntu Ninja Dojo
Requirements: Basic knowledge of Debian packaging, trust of some Kubuntu Ninja(s).
Amongst the packaging folks, the Kubuntu Ninjas are of a very special kind. For one they mostly work on top secret stuff and for another they only do it every once in a while. Simply put, the Kubuntu Ninjas are the ones trying to bring you KDE packages for a new version the day this version gets released to the public by KDE. Joining the Kubuntu Ninja crew depends on a lot of factors, but usually you will be able to do so when you have considerable knowledge of Debian packaging and when others know about this.
Why it rocks
- Work closely with the finest of Kubuntu
- Learn about:
- high quality debian packaging
- pre-release jobs
All you can learn about as packager, in a very intense way
- Become a packager (see above)
- Make others aware of your knowledge and dedication
- Maybe poke your tutor of choice to speed things up a little
- Kubuntu Ninja
- Kubuntu Legend